I spent the past few days cooking a selection of fish dishes at home to celebrate the upcoming Lunar New Year. Locally based Organic Ocean Seafood now offers a Home Delivery service providing their restaurant quality bundles of nutritious sustainable seafood. This is a great idea for all home cooks especially now when many are homebound due to the covid19 pandemic.
This third cooking adventure featured a Malaysian dish and here is the recipe.
GINGER SOY HALIBUT
Ginger Soy Fish – crispy and perfectly cooked fish in a mouth-watering sauce. Topped with ginger and scallion, this recipe is so good with steamed rice!
12 oz. (340 g) halibut fish fillet
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 2-inch (2 cm-5 cm) piece ginger
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tablespoon chopped scallions (optional)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 dashes ground white pepper
- Cut the fish into thick, but bite size pieces. Add corn starch to the fish fillet.
- Coat the fish with the corn starch. Set aside.
- Peel the ginger, slice and cut into thin strips.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Sauce in a small bowl. Stir to mix well and make sure that the sugar melts.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet or well-seasoned wok with the cooking oil on medium to high heat. When the oil is fully heated, add the ginger and stir-fry until they turn light brown. Remove them from the oil and set aside in a bowl.
- Using the ginger-infused oil, pan fry the fish until both surface turn light to golden brown. Make sure you turn the fish very gently with spatula or tong, or preferably with a pair of long cooking chopsticks. Fish fillets are very delicate; you don’t want to break them up while pan-frying.
- Add the Sauce to the fish. As soon as the sauce bubbles. Turn off the heat and dish out. Top the fish with the ginger strips and scallions (optional). Serve immediately over steamed rice.
You can order Organic Ocean Seafood healthy packs or other packages of fish which can then be delivered to your home around Metro Vancouver, it ships frozen.
Healthy Packs are expertly curated selections of premium wild-caught seafood, available in assortments of 12-, 24- and 48- servings. If you love seafood or are striving to incorporate more nutritious choices into your diet, Healthy Packs make it easy – each pack’s contents have been chosen not only for their superior taste, but for their diverse and beneficial nutrition profile. For example, Organic Ocean’s wild-caught Sockeye and Coho Salmon each contain significant daily values of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12 and vitamin D, while a 6-ounce serving of their wild-caught Pacific Cod offers between 30 to 40 grams of protein and only 1 gram of fat.
Shop Organic Ocean’s complete range of sustainable seafood, pantry items and more – available for pick-up, local delivery and express overnight shipping – here.
By: Richard Wolak