Nathan Jackman is the Bar Manager at Catch 122 in Gastown.
I asked Nathan to make a selection of his unique cocktails at Catch 122.
Up first is The 1886
Taking a historical approach to what Vancouver is known for, 1886 was the year of the fire in Vancouver.
2 oz buffalo trace bourbon
Bar spoon fernet branca
1 oz smoked lemon juice
.75 oz honey syrup
1) Grill and smoke a couple lemons (you can use a Bradley smoker after it is smoking you’ll need 45 minutes) then juice them.
2) Add all ingredients to a Boston shaker, shake with ice. Double strain into a coupé.
3) Garnish with a smoked bourbon cherry I make on house but a slice of grilled and smoked lemon will work.
The next cocktail he made was the Wet Deck
Very booze forward but refreshing and a gateway to an awesome evening.
1.5 oz Havana Club 7 yr
.75 oz Aperol
.75 oz Cinzano extra dry
6 dashes Angostura’s bitters
One lemon wedge (squeezed)
1) Add all of these into a mixing pitcher and stir down with ice.
2) Strain into a coupé and garnish with a lemon rind.
By: Richard Wolak