Robert ‘Buck ‘ Friend is the Bar Manager at Bambudda in Gastown.
I asked Buck to make a selection of his unique cocktails at Bambudda.
Up first is the Tsui Hang
Inspired but the classic Granville Street Chinese restaurant
45 mls Rye Infusion
15 mls Tio Pepe
20 mls Budweiser Syrup
30 mls Lemon Juice
Top with cold Iron Buddha Tea
Two dashes Moondog Bitters
1) Combine all ingredients (except iron buddha tea) into a shaker tin and shake over ice.
2) Strain into a tea pot and top with the tea.
The next cocktail he made was Shucks
A collaboration of minds between friends.
30 mls Brandy
20 mls Apricot
20 mls Forced oxidized Lillet blanc infusion with cloves and gojij berries
1 good dash Peychaud’s
1) In Riddell tasting glass spray lemon peel oils and discard
2) Smoke glass with applewood chips
3) Combine all ingredients in to a stirring vessel and dilute.
4) Strain into still smoking glass table side.
For his 3rd cocktail he made the Bramble 2.0
Winter fruit out for a spin with a summer cocktail.
45 mls Mandarine Cachaca infusion
30 mls Lime Jc
20 mls Simple
1) Combine ingredients (except cassis) and chirn with crushed ice.
2) Add more crushed ice and pour in 10 mls of cassis.
3) Garnish with a dried mandarin slice.
By: Richard Wolak