Max Borrowman is the Bar Manager at Torafuku in Chinatown.
I asked Max to make a selection of his unique cocktails at Torafuku.
Up first is the Ipanema Sunset
Inspired by Ipanema Beach in Rio de Janeiro. We all need to find our beach in these long Canadian Winters.
1.25 oz Novo Fogo Cachaca
.75 oz lemon juice
.5 oz Giffard Banane du Bresil
1 dash of Maple syrup
1 small pinch of cayenne pepper and sea salt
33 Acres of Ocean Pale Ale
1) Rim a rocks glass with cayenne pepper and sea salt. You can pre mix that ahead of time.
2) Combine all ingredients in a shaker except for the Pale Ale. Add ice and shake.
3) Fine strain into the rimmed rocks glass with ice.
4) Top with the Pale Ale.
5) Garnish with a lemon wheel with another pinch of cayenne pepper and sea salt.
The next cocktail he made was the Peoples’ Cocktail
This cocktail sounds so refreshing that I thought most people will really like it. It is our most popular cocktail at Torafuku hence it is a cocktail for the people.
1.5 oz Beefeater Gin
1 oz freshly squeezed cucumber juice
.75 oz lemon juice
.5 oz elderflower cordial (you can buy this at IKEA)
.5 oz Ginger of the Indies Liqueur by Giffard
1 small piece of muddled ginger
1) Put the piece of ginger in a shaker and muddle briefly
2) Add the rest of the ingredients. Add ice and shake.
3) Fine strain into a chilled cocktail glass
4) Garnish with a thin slice of cucumber.
The last cocktail he made was the From Mexico with Love
Inspired by the colour of love and the land of Tequila
1.5 oz Cazadores Reposado Tequila
.33 oz homemade pineapple syrup
.75 oz dry vermouth
1 dash of Clingstone Peach bitters by Bittered Sling Bitters
1 dash of Creole Bitters by Bitter Truth
1) Combine all ingredients in mixing glass and add ice.
2) Stir and strain into a chilled martini glass.
3) Garnish with a twist of lemon.
By: Richard Wolak